ART are medications that treat HIV. The drugs do not kill or cure the virus. However, when taken in combination they can prevent the growth of the virus. When the virus is slowed down, so is HIV disease. Antiretroviral drugs are referred to as ARV. Combination ARV therapy (cART) is referred to as highly active ART(HAART).
Goals of ART
- Improvement the quality life and prolongation of life
- Reduction of HIV related morbidity and mortality
- Great reduction in viral load (<50 copies/ml) for as long as possible to stop or delay disease progression
- Restoration and preservation of immune function
- Minimization of drug side effects
- Reduction of HIV transmission