Pre-test information or health education for women who are or may become pregnant or are postpartum should also include:
- the potential risk of transmitting HIV to the infant
- measures that can be taken to reduce mother-to-child transmission, including the provision of ART to benefit the mother and prevent HIV transmission to the infant
- counselling on infant feeding practices to reduce the risk of HIV transmission
- the benefits of early HIV diagnosis for mothers and infants
- encouragement for partner testing.